Ocean Park History
What’s in a Name?
In 1905, a former Methodist Minister, then real estate promoter, W. Pasco Goard. obtained 136 acres, located from Broatch Road (130 Street) to the east, North Bluff Road (16 Avenue) north, and the waterfront. He divided this land and sold ﬁve-acre blocks to a number of men who became known as the Syndicate. Mr. Goard’s wife suggested the name Ocean Park (the name originally only appliedto this property). The borders were later expanded to Sunnyside Road (24 Avenue) north. Bergstrom Road (136 Street) east, and the waterfront south and west.
The First School
Early settler Ben Stevenson acquired some 350 acres in Ocean Park on which there was built a large house. Many years later this house was occupiedby St. George’s private school and was eventually destroyed by ﬁre. In 1916, Mr. Stevenson donatedland for the ﬁrst school in Ocean Park. Today this school is known as the Crescent Park Elementary School Annex at 24 Avenue and Ocean Park Road.
Railway Station & Post Office
Ben Stevenson gave the right-of-way to the then-Great Northern Railroad, where upon the railroad agreed to put in a trestle for residents to cross safely to the beach. With the coming of the railway in 1909, people got off at the Crescent Beach Station and then hiked two miles to Ocean Park. The railway refused to open a station at Ocean Park, and so in 1912,residents built a small station structure at the foot of the hill. Soon after this, a once-daily ﬂag stop service began at Ocean Park Station.
In 1922, F.S. Pratt opened the ﬁrst post ofﬁce in Ocean Park. The six by six foot prefabricated structure, located at the southeast corner of North Bluff Road (16 Avenue) and Ocean Park Road (l26A Street), became famous for being the ‘smallest post ofﬁce in the world’. The mail bags were exchanged at the Station. Before this the mail had to be brought in from Crescent Beach.
Download the Special Heritage Edition of the Ocean Parker for an in-depth look into the history of the Ocean Park Village.
|16th Ave. (North Bluff Rd.) Looking west to 128th St.(Stevenson Rd.) intersection. On the left is Ocean Park Pizza and on the right the entrance to the current Safeway Parking Lot.|
|The old Ocean Park Pizza & Steak House as most would remember it in the 70’s. In October 2003 this facility was replaced with the “Village Pub”. The orginal Ocean Park Pizza and Steak House was founded over 30 years ago by Costa and Maria Docolas with the commitment to serving superior “home cooking” at affordable prices.|